Sunday, June 15, 2008

bits and pieces

My phone rings. It's long distance. It's probably Bill. I hope it's bill, but i still answer in Spanish.
"Hola?"
"So, kid, do you want Tiger, or the field?" It's Bill alright. We share a gambling vice, featuring the Father-Son bet for a dollar. The U.S. Open, held over Father's day weekend, is like our supper bowl sunday of the Big-Bill Little-Bill dollar bets. Like i always do, i posture and pretend there may be a decision to be made, but i know Tiger is my man. I tell him so.
"O.K. kid, you're gonna owe my a buck." Maybe. Maybe i would pay every buck in my possession just to be with you today, talking trash and passing the day. Your day.

happy father's day, dad. i love you so much, and am honored to call you father.

__________________


so, i am now part of a softball team. how cool? i have not played organized baseball for, for 10 years? Eight years. Whatever. And i have never played softball. This will all change a week from today.
It started two weeks ago. A knock on my door. I open it. Shockingly, there stands a salvadorean. She looks at me with almost squinted eyes. And it's dusk. Clearly, i am the whitest person she may ever see in her life. I feel honored. Anyway, she asks me if i would like to play softball.
"Does a Bear shit in the woods? I mean, si, si si si, softball, si si." She tells me she will come by in a few weeks and let me know. Surprisingly, last night, she does just that. Again she asks me if i want to play softball. I skip any eloquence and just nod my head. (i feel like im spelling half this shit wrong. sorry about that. i would spell check but my give a shit is broken). She tells me to be ready this morning, which i am, and when she shows up we walk to the edge of town and catch the bus to Usulutan. Usulutan is the big ass city 30 minutes away, and it is a beautiful 30 minutes. We get there, walk a short distance, and arrive at a park that ends up being THE field. I watch several games, and am very surprised at how well they play. My friend Maria wins her game, and then we sit together and watch the men play. At one point, they actually turned a double play.
A FUCKING DOUBLE PLAY?
Yes.
After the game (which included not 1 but 2 fights), i approach the winning team and ask if i can join. Someone tosses my a jersey. And smiles. "Next week. We play at 930. We have extra gloves."
I try and thank him but cant. Instead, i walk away with a grin on my face.
But i think i wave.
they understand. im just really excited to play softball. and to be a part of a team.

____________________

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny, nephew, I am rofl about your give a shit being broken, gringo mosquito landing pads, etc. So glad you are feeling more like staying. Stay safe. love, aunty

jimmy said...

Want Tiger in the British Open? Excuse me: "The Open."
Softball?

Anonymous said...

For some reason, your email address isn't going through. Hit me up and let me know if it changed. Peace.