Wednesday, July 1, 2009

SILENCE! FUCKING!

I'm playing the guitar, enjoying the early afternoon. I can still taste the orange just consumed.
"Misster Willliam," says a familiar voice. "Tocando la guitara."
It's my fantastic viejo communist neighbor. He's 80. Has an absurd, toothless grin that makes me blush. And loves to talk shit. Long ago, he abandoned any social etiquette or standards, such as beginning conversations with "hello" or "how are you?" Old man loves to rehash all of the anti-american leftist news he's just heard on his radio, directing it at me in the form of boasts or accusations. We both allow this to happen, and thoroughly enjoy it, because he knows im not some gringo asshole, and i know he's not some nutjob militant, though we pretend to be.
"Looks like La CIA got rid of the Honduran President," he says.
"yea. 'bout fuckin time," i say.

But then he remembers why he knocked on my door. "Playing the old guitar again, huh?"
"Yea. I can sing too. Yo voy caminando, al monte donde yo nací….”
Luis tries to stop me, in spanish, but to no avail. So he shouts the only two words in English he knows: "SILENCE!!! FUCKING!!!"
So i shut right the fuck up.
And then we both laugh.
And then we talk for a few more minutes. About girls and politics. And soccer.
He shakes my hand, turns to face the world.
"Cuídate, Gringo."
You too, viejo.

6 comments:

jimmy said...

Cuidate, Willy.

Emily Elizabeth said...

Can you please give me a phonetic pronunciation of "Cuidate." I would like to start saying it to my people. (Coo-ee-da-tay? No? I am simple.)

I miss you and I love reading your stuff. Cuidate, Brother. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Cuidate? Billy, please enlighten. Even if off-color -- I won't be shocked.

Love, Aunty

P.S. Thank you for all the wonderful stories of life in ES, and what it has meant in your life...I'll see you next month~-thinking of you on the 4th!

Jen Bartimole said...

Hey. I found this post on my blog's friend list and thought I'd say hey, from one El Sal PCV to another. Which group are you in? I was a Youthie near La Palma from September 06-December of last year.

Sal Paradise said...

Emily Elizabeth, that is exactly how you pronounce cuidate. aunt kate, it means, "take care of yourself. And Jen, i am a Muni, 2008-2010. i live in Usulutan, up in the coffee plantations where it is bien fresco. how is the transition going for you? Well, i hope.
Cuidense, all of you.

Jen said...

Sounds like a great site! I know Usulutan is almost unbearably hot, so you lucked out. Have you gotten to go coffee picking yet? Transitioning is ok...better now, pero me costo mucho al principio. Suerte with your service. I enjoy your posts.