Monday, August 24, 2009

corn festival

i went to a corn festival yesterday. it was great. i went with a few good friends. narda and her brother, and someone i just met, edgardo. the festival took place about 45 minutes away from where i live, or this particular corn festival. they take place all over the country this time of year, harvest time. i had never seen salvadorans honor their most important crop like this before. i was impressed. we watched a parade of different trucks and floats honoring this staple food, and the culture it creats. we ate a dozen different dishes made from corn, and even had some fermented corn booze. this all took place in a pleasant town. i did a lot of people watching, where i make myself less visible and take it all in. children laughing and playing. young lovers holding hands. there's something very calming about the plain humanity surrounding this place. i will certainly miss it.

5 comments:

Emily Elizabeth said...

I certainly miss you. And I am glad you are back to writing--I love reading your stuff.

So good to see you, funny and fun and admirable little brother! I sure do miss you even more now, though.

Thinking of you, and love you madly.
Em

Anonymous said...

Hi Billy, I'm glad to see you writing too. It was great visiting with you. Corn festival sounds like fun and makes me think of Sonoma's apple blossom parade.

Love you -- hope you're taking care of that ankle. aunty

Jimmy said...

Corn is good, many different ways, I am in agreement. And may I say, I am delighted to see Sal again posting.
Good wishes.

Stun said...

this is so very very random, as you don't know me and i don't know you. but i somehow was directed to your blog via a completely opposite mistype i was googling - divine intervention or something of the sort...i have a potential opportunity in el salvador that i'm interviewing for tomorrow and was feeling uncertain about it. and if this isn't a sign i don't know what the hell is. your blog is very interesting, glad i stumbled on it.
-stevie

omega drivers said...

thank for the post!