Thursday, October 30, 2008

the street lamp across the street went out this evening. i noticed the change in light through the window and poked my head outside to see the stars looking back at me. my town is well-lit and i don't mosey to where it's dark to go star gazing, not yet anyway.
WTF am i talking about? somebody stop me.
another day translating today. more intense. i spent more time with the doctors in the afternoon, seeing many patients that we (yea right, we) could do little for. one woman started to cry. she couldn't see the eye charts and the different lenses were not helping. so i took her hand and asked her how old she was.
"82."
"No, i don't believe you. 50, no mas." we both had a good laugh at that. and we got her a pair of strong reading glasses so that she can read her bible. she told me that god blessed her by bringing me to her. what do you say to that? "no, really, it's nothing." i wish she could comprehend how important our little meeting was to me. she's seeing the doctor and im getting a reality check. jesus, these woman from the country come in dressed in hand made dresses, tiny woman that cant read and that have worked all their lives and don't ever seem upset and i have problems? yes, it's me. i wish our world had a happy medium.
fuck im tired.
tomorrow im going back one more time. these canadian doctors and nurses are heroes. they come from up north this time of year, and it's hot as balls in el salvador, 10 miles from the coast. the building is unairconditioned, they're using their vacation time to go down and help truck loads of people.
and in the middle of the madness is this goofy lanky kid cracking fart jokes to old men.
one old man asked me how well his vision would be with glasses. i told him well enough to look at pretty woman from across the street. he looked at me, unsure of what he had heard, and i was tired and couldn't hide a half smile, so he laughed, and i laughed.
what the fuck am i talking about? i told you to stop me.
anyway, i got on here to say that the street lamp went out becuase it's still fucking windy and i actually really like it and bla bla bla fart jokes bla bla.
Good. Night.

No comments: