Wednesday, January 21, 2009

thanks, kid.

a knock at my door. a short list of people runs through my head. i open up, and there he is, though he wasn't on the list.
i forget his name. i'd ask him, but he wouldn't tell me, because he can't. he's mostly deaf, and mostly mute. but very smart. we have this running joke. he shows up at my door a few nights a week, on his way home from somewhere, and when i open the door, he makes the sound of, something, like an animal, and i look around in fear with a ridiculous look on my face. then, we both laugh. tonight, we didnt play. we just hung out for a few minutes, together taking in the town around us. such a good kid. i often see him running around town with one or two of his many friends. always smiling, always content. he's probably 7 or 8, less than half my height. black hair, big eyes, white teeth, and, clearly, a big heart. tonight, he, well, i was feeling sad and he, he smiled at me, telling me it would all be ok. so, i gave him some fruit, making his smile wider. the night lit up around us, and he waved and ran away.

2 comments:

jimmy said...

Thanks for everything, kid.

Anonymous said...

Dude: you have turned in to quite a writer. I am continually impressed---by your writing, and by how generally smart and kind you are.

Love you.
Em